Throughout the regular season, we at Hernando Today will provide rankings, news and notes on the prep basketball season in Hernando County. With the regular season now heading into the second half, we begin to take a closer look at Hernando’s top teams. Here’s a look at this week’s Top 5 Hernando County Prep Basketball Poll.
1. Springstead (10-2): The Eagles have been playing some of the best basketball of any team in the county and their only two losses have been by a combined 10 points against Hudson Fivay and Tampa Berkeley Prep.
2. Nature Coast (10-4): The Sharks, despite losing in the championship game of their Christmas Tournament, have raced off to the most wins in Hernando County and should make a run toward the postseason this winter.
3. Central (7-6): It’s hard the fully gauge the Bears because of their six losses, but make no mistake that this is a good Central team. The Bears narrowly lost to Springstead 50-47, so Central is not too far off at all.
4. Weeki Wachee (5-9): The Hornets are on a little bit of a winning streak currently, as Weeki Wachee has defeated Hernando Christian Academy and New Port Richey Gulf in back-to-back contests.
5. Hernando Christian Academy (2-6): The Lions have picked up two wins this season, but one of their losses is a 64-20 blemish to Weeki Wachee. That elevates Weeki Wachee above HCA, but the Lions have some games down the stretch they will need to perform well in.
1. Hernando Christian Academy (6-0): It’s been quite a while since the Lions last played — Dec. 11 based on Maxpreps.com. Next time they were scheduled to take the court was Jan. 11 versus Academy at the Lakes.
2. Springstead (8-6): This Eagles team has continued to impress many as the season has moved on. Though they do have a loss to Hernando on their record, Springstead has managed to pull off eight wins through 13 games played.
3. Hernando (8-5): The Leopards have been one of the better girls basketball programs this season, but Hernando has lost back-to-back games against Bradenton Lakewood Ranch and Wade Christian Academy. Hernando looks to bounce back versus Weeki Wachee.
4. Nature Coast (6-6): Scoring the basketball has become an issue for the Sharks throughout the season, as Nature Coast is averaging 25.5 a game. Leading the way for Nature Coast is Heaven Lee, who is averaging 20 points per game.
5. Weeki Wachee (4-6): This is a young, upcoming Hornets’ team under the guidance of Billy Hughes. Weeki Wachee is averaging 37.9 points per game and is led in scoring by Jasmine Jones at 10.7 a contest.
Andy Villamarzo can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @avillamarzo.