Club meetings and events
• Women in Leadership Summit will be held on Thursday, March 5 from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., at Silverthorn Country Club, 4550 Golf Club Lane, Spring Hill. Tickets are $60 per person and includes a continental breakfast and lunch. The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce is the primary sponsor of the all-day event features workshops focused on women empowerment and leadership strategies. The keynote speaker will be best-selling author, Fawn Germer. To register call 352-796-0697 or visit www.hernandochamber.com.
• When Bad Lawns Happen to Good People will be held on Tuesday, March 10 at 10 a.m. at UF-IFAS Extension Hernando County Office, 16110 Aviation Loop Drive. Lily Browning, Florida-Friendly Landscaping Program Coordinator will discuss how to save water, time and money while maintaining a healthy lawn for the unique climate, soil and conditions of the Sunshine State. No registration is required, and the event is free.
• Pennsylvania Club will meet on Tuesday, March 10 at 10:30 a.m. at Bayport Inn, 4835 Cortez Blvd., Weeki Wachee. Lunch choices are all-you-can-eat fish or shrimp basket, chicken parmesan sandwich basket, or French dip sandwich basket, and includes salad, beverage, tax and tip. The cost is #13 per person. RSVP and payment due by Friday, March 6. Please mail to: PA Club, P.O. Box 6024, Spring Hill, FL 34611. For more information call Marge at 352-340-5507.
• Weeki Wachee Anglers, Inc. will meet on Wednesday, March 11 at 6:30 p.m., at Glen Lakes Country Club, 10485 Glen Lakes Blvd., Weeki Wachee. Keith Kolusa, Hernando County Acquatic Services Manager, will be the guest speaker. Food will be available for purchase, but only debit or credit cards will be accepted. A cash bar will also be available. Nonmembers who wish to attend must get a guest pass into the country club by calling Ron Auger at 207-608-5442. For more information call Frank Vitalone at 585-329-0405 or visit www.weekiwacheeanglersinc.com.
• Michigan Club will meet for lunch on Thursday, March 12 at noon, at 1000 Island Café, 3438 Commercial Way (U.S. 19), Spring Hill. Their monthly meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 18 at 12:30 p.m., at Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way (U.S. 19), Weeki Wachee. They will meet for dinner on Friday, March 20 at 4 p.m., at Ruby Tuesday, 13095 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. For more information call Phyllis Kreft at 734-612-9939 or Barb or Dave Selbach at 352-592-9663.
• Water, Water Everywhere…Except Where You Need It will be held on Friday, March 13 from 10 a.m. until noon at Hernando County Utilities Department, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville. Frank Galdo, Jr., UF-IFAS Florida-Friendly Landscaping Program Coordinator – Pasco County, shares real world examples of how landscape irrigation can go really wrong, and receive helpful tips on how to achieve your ideal landscape – without draining the aquifer or your wallet. Registration is required, and the class is free. To register visit https://HernandoWAS2020.eventbrite.com or call 352-754-4705.
• Hernando County Chamber of Commerce Golf Tournament will be held on Thursday, March 19, with a shotgun start at 9 a.m., at Brooksville Country Club, 23446 Links Drive, Brooksville. Registration is at 8 a.m. with breakfast. The cost includes, breakfast, golf cart, round of golf and luncheon. There will be an auction immediately after the tournament. To register visit www.hernandochamber.com. For more information contact Lisa Callea, director of events, by calling her at 352-593-9979 or send an email to her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Hernando Computer Club will meet at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, March 24, in Fellowship Hall at Grace Presbyterian Church, 8375 Spring Hill Dr., Spring Hill. Doors open at 6 p.m. for social time and light refreshments. Call 352-684-7171 or visit www.hcc.org for more information.
• Trees, Marvelous Trees will be held on Friday, March 20 at 10 a.m. at Chinsegut Conservation Center, 23212 Lake Lindsay Road, Brooksville. Ken Morgan, arborist, Master Gardener and historian, will take the group on a “Tree Walkabout,” which is a two-mile hike in the woods surrounding the center. After the hike Lily Browning, Florida-Friendly Landscaping Program Coordinator, will discuss what Florida trees can grow in unique climate, soil and conditions of the Sunshine State indoors. Please bring closed toe walking shoes, insect repellent and water for the hike. No registration is required, and the event is free.
• Rain Barrel Workshop will be held on Saturday, March 21 at 10:30 a.m. at Hernando County Utilities Department, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville. Attendance is mandatory to purchase a rain barrel, but you can attend without buying one. Rain barrels are $50 each. Please make checks payable to HCUD and mail to Hernando County Utilities, 15365 Cortez Boulevard, Brooksville, FL 34613. Write “Rain Barrel Workshop March 21” on the envelope. Checks will be the only form of payment accepted and must be received by Friday, Feb. 20. Hernando County Utilities customers who attend the workshop and install a rain barrel at their home will receive a one-time $25 credit on their water bill. Please bring a vehicle that can accommodate a 55-gallon barrel. All sales final. Call 352-540-6230 for more information.
• Dementia Caregivers Training Event will be held on Thursday, March 26 from 1 until 3 p.m. at East Hernando Library, 6457 Windmere Road, Ridge Manor. The classes will meet every Thursday from March 26 until May 7. The course – presented by Elder Options – will teach participants about dementia, how to lie a more fulfilling life as a caregiver and how to navigate common challenges caregivers face. Registration is required and space is limited. To register contact Sam Strickland by calling 352-692-5246 or send an email to email@example.com.
• Dancing with the Orchids will be held on Saturday and Sunday, March 28 and 29 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. each day at VFW Post 8681, 18940 Drayton St, Spring Hill. Nature Coast Orchid Society is hosting the annual event, which will include vendors selling orchids and supplies, along with lectures on both days. The admission fee is $3 per person. For more information call Mary Lou Mattana at 218-556-1855.
• Central Florida Sportsman’s Expo
Central Florida Sportsman’s Expo will be held on Saturday and Sunday, March 28 and 29 from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. at Tom Varn Park, 301 Darby Lane, Brooksville. The event will feature more than 100 vendors, new boats, fishing gear, marine toys, RVs, trucks, 4-wheelers, exhibits, clinics and demonstrations. A Car and Truck Show and Contest will be held on March 28 from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m., with three separate categories for vehicles: 1949 and older, 1950 until 1979 and 1980 and newer. Food and beverages will be available for purchase. For more information call 303-358-2593.
• Weeki Wachee Senior Citizens Club meets from 9 a.m. to noon every Friday, for cards and games, at the Weeki Wachee Senior Citizens Center, 3357 Susan Dr., Spring Hill. For more information call 570-441-9139 or find them on Facebook.
Master Gardeners Nursery, 19490 Oliver St., Brooksville, is open on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 9 a.m. until noon, weather permitting. It specializes in Florida native and Florida-friendly plants, and there is a large selection, healthy stock and great prices. The Master Gardener program is a volunteer amplification of the Hernando County Extension Service. For more information call 352-754-4433.
The Downtown Brooksville’s Mural Walking Tour is held, 10:30-11:30 a.m., on the third Friday of every month at the Hernando County Courthouse, 20 North Main St., Brooksville. Check-in is at 10:20 a.m. The tour will be led by Jan Knowles, a local historian and Arts Council’s Projects Coordinator. Advanced registration is required at hernandoarts.org/murals. For more information, call Knowles at 352-279-5182 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The tours are sponsored by the Hernando County Fine Arts Council.
A capella open house
The Suncoast Harmony Chorus, a chapter of Sweet Adelines International, holds open rehearsals at 7 p.m. every Tuesday, at Salishan Gracious Living Activity Room, 191 Astaire Lane, Spring Hill. The chorus performs a capella throughout Hernando, Citrus and Pasco counties. All vocal ranges welcome. No professional training required. Call Cindy at 352-597-4376 or visit www.suncoast-harmony.com.
Boutique for a cause
Boutique of Hope, located in the Crescent Community Clinic, 5244 Commercial Way, Spring Hill, is open from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. This shop provides cancer victims and survivors with free wigs, bras, turbans, hats, scarves and more. Volunteers and crafters are needed. Call 352-428-4143.