The “Super 7” poll, which was taken before the Oct. 2 results, is put together by Andy Villamarzo, county expert Alejandro Tamayo, Pasco County FB’s Tom Ketchum, Big County Prep’s Doug Pugh and Florida High School Football’s Joshua Wilson.
1. Mitchell Mustangs: Beating Pinellas Park convincingly may have been the kind of push the Mustangs needed to re-establish themselves as the top team in the county. Not that they need any reminding that in a couple of weeks they’ll get to face off against Wiregrass Ranch. That should be a doozy.
2. Wiregrass Ranch Bulls: This isn’t your usual Bulls team when you think of the player numbers, as the club dressed just around 30 versus River Ridge. Wiregrass Ranch is doing just fine as Rocco Becht threw for six touchdowns against the Royal Knights. The Bulls now have Armwood, East Bay and Mitchell coming up. Ouch.
3. Pasco Pirates: Outside of a 33-0 shellacking by Auburndale, the Pirates have held their own against their other opponents. Pasco faced Cypress Creek and Hollins and was able to shut both clubs out. The Pirates’ remaining slate is tough.
4. River Ridge Royal Knights: The Royal Knights have dropped from their No. 3 spot, but doesn’t mean that Ryan Benjamin’s crew won’t work its way back up. In a season that every team will make the postseason, River Ridge has to worry more about game to game improvement.
5. Wesley Chapel Wildcats: Anthony Egan’s team wasn’t slated to be in this group after losing several All-SAC players in the offseason, but here we are. After wins against Sunlake and Hudson, the Wildcats are steadily playing better each week and could be a team to watch closely as the season moves ahead into the fall.
6. Bishop McLaughlin Hurricanes: Surprise, surprise! The Hurricanes have been the pleasant breakout team of 2020 and first-year head coach Ken Still has his team confident and winning. Bishop McLaughlin has the talent to boot and could be taking the next step sooner rather than later.
7. Zephyrhills Christian Warriors: First team out on the field to start 2020 and the Warriors have remained a solid club. Quarterback Nick Novo received his first college offer and ZCA has displayed steady improvement.