Throughout the 2021 regular season, we will do weekly rankings, news and notes on the prep baseball and softball season in Pasco County. With the regular season now underway, we begin to take a closer look at the teams as we head into the month of March. Here’s a look at this week’s Top 5 Pasco County Prep Baseball and Softball Polls.
1. Land O’ Lakes (4-1): Only loss on the season for the Gators came at the hands of Brooksville Nature Coast. Other than that, Land O’ Lakes has beaten Wesley Chapel, Wiregrass Ranch and River Ridge.
2. Wesley Chapel (5-2): After starting the season off at 1-2, the Wildcats have ripped off four straight wins and sit with the most wins in the county.
3. Wiregrass Ranch (2-2): The Bulls record may not have as many wins as the rest of the teams in this poll, but a win over Mitchell definitely speaks volumes.
4. Mitchell (4-2): Not many teams boast the kind of talent Mitchell has on its roster, as the Mustangs feature multiple Division I bound players.
5. Cypress Creek (4-1): It’s early in the season but the Coyotes have been impressive with wins over Pasco, Tampa Catholic and IMG Academy AR.
1. Land O’ Lakes (6-0): The Gators have only allowed four runs through six games and most of the contests haven’t been close at all. Watch out, Pasco County.
2. Mitchell (5-2): Yes, Mitchell has lost two games this season but they’ve been against a couple pretty good teams. The Mustangs’ losses have come against Land O’ Lakes and Sickles, whom are a combined 12-0.
3. River Ridge (4-1): The Royal Knights have another talented team this season and their lone loss of the season came at the hands of rival Mitchell 3-0.
4. Sunlake (4-1): Other than a loss to Mitchell, the Seahawks have been on a tear throughout the season. The Seahawks should be a district title contender.
5. Cypress Creek (5-1): If it weren’t for a loss to Wiregrass Ranch, Cypress Creek would currently be undefeated at this point.
Andy Villamarzo can be reached at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @avillamarzo.