Club meetings and events
• African American Club of Hernando will meet and celebrate Black History Month at 2 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 6, at Regency Oaks Club House, 4445 Breakwater Blvd., Spring Hill. On Saturday, Feb. 8, the group will attend a Murder Mystery Dinner Theater, and on Sunday, Feb. 22, the group will visit American Stage Theater’s production of “Skeleton Crew.” For tickets for these upcoming events or for more information call Leana at 352-835-7003.
• Latin American Civic and Cultural Association will meet at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 9, at the “A” Club of Hernando County, 18922 Titus Road, Hudson. There will also be a Valentine’s Day Dance with music by DJ Kue from 8 p.m. until 1 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 8, at Holy Cross Lutheran Church Hall, 6193 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. The cost is $10 per person, BYOB, small coolers are permitted, and ice is provided for a small fee. For tickets or more information call Luis Sierre at 352-277-2915.
• Best All-Around Plants for Hernando County is part of the Florida-Friendly Landscaping program, and will meet at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 11, at UF/IFAS Extension Hernando County Office, 16110 Aviation Loop Drive, Brooksville. In this class participants will learn about plants that perform well in our area and how to find the right plant for the right place.
• Hernando County Retired Educators Association will meet at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 11, at Medical Arts Enrichment Center, which is located on the campus of Bayfront Health Brooksville Hospital, 17240 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville. You are welcome if you are a former employee of any district or state school in Florida. Call Diane at 352-628-4681, go the HCREA unit at www.frea.org or find them on Facebook.
• Matters of the Heart: A-fib and Abnormal Heart Rhythms will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 11 from 5:30 until 7 p.m. at Silverthorn Country Club, 4550 Golf Club Lane, Spring Hill. Oak Hill Hospital is sponsoring the seminar as it recognizes February as Heart Month, and will be presented by Scott F. Lee, M.D., a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology and Fellow of the Heart Rhythm Society. Reservations are required, and a complimentary dinner will be served. Doors will open at 4:45 p.m. To make reservations, or for more information call 325-597-6333 or visit OakHillHospital.com/ForYourHealth.
• When Lawns Just Don’t Cut It is part of the Florida-Friendly Landscaping program, and will meet at 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 12, at Spring Hill Branch Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive. Participants will learn about lawn alternatives to utilize areas where lawns just won’t thrive and how to save water by reducing turf areas.
• Brooksville Garden Club will meet at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 12, at Sylvan Grove Club House, 2490 Broad St., Brooksville. Call Diane at 727-418-6678 or Connie at 352-799-6060 for more information.
• HOPS for Hope fundraiser will be held on Friday, Feb. 14 from 6 p.m. until closing at Marker 48, 12147 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. A percentage of the total sales that evening will benefit the HCA Hope Fund, which helps HCA Healthcare employees and their families who are affected by financial hardship. Pig Daddy and Nina Cucina Wood Fired Pizza food trucks will be at Marker 48 and they will also donate a percentage of their total sales to the HCA Hope Fund. Chance drawing and a 50/50 drawing will also be available. For more information about the HCA Hope Fund and this fundraiser contact Heather Bemis at Oak Hill Hospital by calling 352-597-6020 or send her an email at Heather.Bemis@HCAHealthcare.com.
• Nature Coast Orchid Society will meet at noon on Saturday, Feb. 15, at VFW Post 8681, 18940 Drayton St., Spring Hill. Call Mary Lou Mattana at 218-556-1855 for more information.
• “Tools to Quit” will be held from 4 until 6 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 17, at Oak Hill Hospital GME Conference Center, Rooms B and C, 11307 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville. This free, one-time seminar is designed to help tobacco users quit the habit. Call 913-929-1000 to register or for more information.
• Michigan Club will meet at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 19, at Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way, Weeki Wachee. They will also gather for lunch at noon on Thursday, Feb. 13, at El Ranchito, 7335 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Call Phyllis Kreft at 734-612-9939 or Barb or Dave Selbach at 352-592-9963 for more information.
• Nature Coast 912 Patriots will meet at noon Saturday, Feb. 22, at U.S. Marine Corp. League #708, 8405 Sunshine Grove Road, Brooksville. For more information email Jose Lugo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Hernando Computer Club will meet at 6 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 24, in Fellowship Hall at Grace Presbyterian Church, 8375 Spring Hill Dr., Spring Hill. There will also be a new members orientation and open house at 10 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 3 in Building B. Call 352-684-7171 or visit www.hcc.org for more information.
• “Tools to Quit” will be held from 1:30 until 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 26, at Access Health Care Physicians, 5350 Spring Hill Drive. This free, one-time seminar is designed to help tobacco users quit the habit. Call 913-929-1000 to register or for more information.
• Rain Barrel Workshop will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 26, at the Hernando County Utilities Department office, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville. Attendance is mandatory to purchase a rain barrel, but you can attend without buying one. Rain barrels are $50 each. Please make checks payable to HCUD and mail to Hernando County Utilities, 15365 Cortez Boulevard, Brooksville, FL 34613. Write “Rain Barrel Workshop February 26” on the envelope. Checks will be the only form of payment accepted and must be received by Tuesday, Feb. 25. Hernando County Utilities customers who attend the workshop and install a rain barrel at their home will receive a one-time $25 credit on their water bill. Please bring a vehicle that can accommodate a 55-gallon barrel. All sales final. Call 352-540-6230 for more information.
• Second Annual Hernando Home and Garden Show will be held on Saturday, Feb. 29 at Sand Hills Scout Reservation, 11210 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce is the primary sponsor. For more information or for marketing and vendor opportunities call 352-796-0697 or visit www.hernandochamber.com.
• Wonderful Water is part of the Florida-Friendly Landscaping program, and will meet at 10 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 28, at Chinsegut Conservation Center, 23212 Lake Lindsay Road, Brooksville. Participants will learn about the water cycle and take a two-mile roundtrip walk to May Prairie to explore a native wetland. Wear shoes and clothes suitable for exploring the woods. Bring water and insect repellant.
• 5th Annual Nature Coast Art Show will be held on Saturday, Feb. 29 and Sunday, March 1 at Temple Beth David, 13158 Antelope St., Spring Hill. Saturday will have an artist’s reception from 4:30 until 8 p.m. and Sunday will be the show and sale from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. There will be food, a silent auction and original art works by artists from the area. For more information call Barb at 352-686-7034.
• Second Annual Women in Leadership Summit will be held on Thursday, March 5 from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., at Silverthorn Country Club, 4550 Golf Club Lane, Spring Hill. Tickets are $60 per person and includes a continental breakfast and lunch. The Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce is the primary sponsor of the all-day event features workshops focused on women empowerment and leadership strategies. The keynote speaker will be best-selling author, Fawn Germer. To register call 352-796-0697 or visit www.hernandochamber.com.
• Weeki Wachee Senior Citizens Club meets from 9 a.m. to noon every Friday, for cards and games, at the Weeki Wachee Senior Citizens Center, 3357 Susan Dr., Spring Hill. For more information call 570-441-9139 or find them on Facebook.
Downtown Brooksville’s Mural Walking Tour is held, 10:30-11:30 a.m., on the third Friday of every month at the Hernando County Courthouse, 20 North Main St., Brooksville. Check-in is at 10:20 a.m. The tour will be led by Jan Knowles, a local historian and Arts Council’s Projects Coordinator. Advanced registration is required at hernandoarts.org/murals. For more information, call Knowles at 352-279-5182 or email email@example.com. The tours are sponsored by the Hernando County Fine Arts Council.
A capella open house
Suncoast Harmony Chorus, a chapter of Sweet Adelines International, holds open rehearsals at 7 p.m. every Tuesday, at Salishan Gracious Living Activity Room, 191 Astaire Lane, Spring Hill. The chorus performs a capella throughout Hernando, Citrus and Pasco counties. All vocal ranges welcome. No professional training required. Call Cindy at 352-597-4376 or visit www.suncoast-harmony.com.
Boutique for a cause
Boutique of Hope, located in the Crescent Community Clinic, 5244 Commercial Way, Spring Hill, is open from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. This shop provides cancer victims and survivors with free wigs, bras, turbans, hats, scarves and more. Volunteers and crafters are needed. Call 352-428-4143.